I'm going to take my driving licence

In order to have the best possible training and become a safe, eco-friendly driver, there are many things that you have to think about.

Requirements for driving licences, tractor licences and driver's certificate

To be allowed to drive a motor vehicle in Sweden, you must have a driving licence, tractor licence or driver's certificate. The driving licence shows which vehicle categories you may drive, using the letters AM, A1, A2, A, B, BE, C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D and DE. The Swedish driving licence is also a valid form of identification.

If you do not have a driving licence, to be allowed to drive a tractor on the road, you must have a tractor licence. If you have a category AM licence, you may also drive a tractor from the age of 15 years. If you want to drive a class II moped, but do not have a driving licence or a tractor licence, you must have a driver's certificate. To be able to drive a heavy ATV, you must have a category B licence and to drive a light ATV or snowmobile, you must have a valid driver's certificate.

Requirements for obtaining a driving licence

A driving licence may only be issued to those who

  • have a learner's permit
  • are permanent residents in Sweden or have been studying here for at least six months
  • have reached the age of
    • 15 years for category AM
    • 16 years for category A1
    • 18 years for categories A2, B, BE, C1 and C1E
    • 20 years for category A if you have had a category A2 licence for at least two years
    • 21 years for categories C, CE, D1 and D1E
    • 24 years for categories D, DE and A (if you have not had a category A2 licence for at least two years, see above)
  • have successfully passed the driving test (theory and practical tests). For category AM, a theory test must have been passed.

Additionally, you must not have a driving licence that has been issued in another EEA country. EEA countries include: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Spain. Driving licences from these countries can be exchanged for a Swedish licence.

Driving licence with conditions

The Swedish Transport Agency decides if a driving licence will be subject to any conditions. One example of such a condition may be that a vehicle used by a person with a disability must have specific equipment. The Swedish Transport Agency may require people with certain medical conditions to submit a medical certificate after a set time period. A driving licence may also be restricted to vehicles with automatic transmission. Conditions that extend or restrict the category are specified on the licence using a numerical code. For example: 01.06 = glasses or contact lenses, 78 = restricted to vehicles with automatic transmission, 20.06 = hand operated brake.

Driving licence categories

You can find all the age requirements and the vehicles you may drive with the different licence categories on the following webpage.

Driving licence categories

Learner's permit

Before you start learning to drive, you must have a learner's permit. This applies regardless of the driving licence category you are applying for. Will you be practising driving privately? If so, you must have an approved accompanying driver. For category B, you must also attend an introduction course. Private driving practice is not permitted for category AM.

If you already have a valid category B driving licence, you do not need to apply for a learner´s permit in order to be allowed to take the practical driving test for category B extended (B96). To practise drive privately you still need to have an approved accompanying driver, but you don't need to attend an introduction course.

If you do not have a category B licence, you must have a valid learner's permit when you take the category B extended test. You must also have attended an introduction course.

If you are applying for the categories AM, A1, A2, A, B and BE you must include a health declaration and an eye test certificate with your application. The categories are part of what is called group 1.

Apply for a learner's permit (group 1) (e-service in Swedish)

Order form Apply for a learner's permit (group 1) (in Swedish)

If you are applying for the higher categories (C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D, DE) you must have a medical certificate. The categories are part of what is called group 2 och 3.

Apply for a learner's permit (group 2 and 3) (e-service in Swedish)

Order form Apply for a learner's permit (group 2 and 3) (in Swedish)

The Swedish Transport Agency will issue a learner´s permit if you are believed to be a suitable driver based on your personal and medical circumstances.

A learner´s permit is valid for five years. This period cannot be extended. If you have not passed a theory and practical test within this time, you must apply for a new learner´s permit. Your approved accompanying driver does not need to reapply for approval, as long as their approval is still valid.

Certain criminal offences and other circumstances that contravene the Swedish Driving Licence Act may result in the learner´s permit being revoked.

Introduction course

If you will be practising driving privately for category B, you and your accompanying driver must have attended an introduction course. Your accompanying driver must have completed the introduction course before he or she can be approved as your accompanying driver. You must have a valid introduction course when you are practising driving privately. The introduction course has three parts:

  • the aims, content and regulations for driver education
  • how to plan and structure driver education
  • important traffic safety and environmental factors.

Search for approved introduction course organisers (e-service in Swedish)

Accompanying drivers

If you will be practising driving privately, you must have an approved accompanying driver. The accompanying driver has the overall responsibility and is viewed as the driver whilst you practise. Your accompanying driver must submit their application to the Swedish Transport Agency. An accompanying driver will be approved for a specific learner driver.

You can be approved as an accompanying driver for a maximum of 5 students at the same time.The approval is valid for five years and can cover several licence categories for each individual learner driver.

The accompanying driver must

  • be at least 24 years old
  • hold a driving licence with the relevant category and must have held it for an period of a minimum of five years over the last ten years, however an accompanying driver application may be rejected, for example, if the licence has been revoked in the last three years
  • be familiar with the vehicle being used and be able to drive it well
  • have completed an introduction course (applies for category B).

Apply to be approved as an accompanying driver (e-service in Swedish)

Order form Apply to be approved as an accompanying driver (in Swedish)

Help us improve!

Please leave a review at Your Europe.

Logotype Your Europe