Learning how to drive

To be able to learn to drive, you must have a valid learner's permit. If you are going to practise driving privately, you must have an approved accompanying driver. If you are learning to drive a car, you and your accompanying driver must complete a three-hour introduction course before you can start practising together.

  • 14 years and 9 months for class 1 moped with an authorised instructor
  • 15 years and 9 months for driving category A1 vehicles
  • 16 years for driving passenger cars without a trailer
  • 17 years and 6 months for driving category A2 vehicles and if you will be practising driving with a light lorry, light trailer or category B extended vehicle
  • 18 years for driving category BE, C1 or C1E vehicles
  • 19 years and 6 moths for a two-wheeled category A motorcycle, on the condition that the learner driver has held a category A2 licence for at least one year and six months
  • 20 years* for driving category C, CE, D1, D1E vehicles, or for three-wheeled motorcycles with a power output higher than 15 kilowatts
  • 23 years* for driving category D, DE or category A three-wheeled motorcycle, if the licence holder has not held a category A2 licence for at least one year and six months.

* If you are participating in a professional driving course at an upper-secondary
school, municipal adult education or instructor with permission from the Swedish Transport Agency, different lower age requirements apply.

When you practise driving privately, your accompanying driver must have their approval certificate with them. The green and white ÖVNINGSKÖR ("L-plate") sign must be clearly visible at the back of the car.

The risk course

The driving tests for passenger cars (category B) and motorcycles (categories A1, A2 and A) require a completed and valid risk course.
The risk course for car drivers is not valid for motorcycle riders, as the motorcycle risk course is specifically geared towards the risks of riding a motorbike. Therefore, the motorcycle risk course does not apply for car drivers.
The purpose of the risk course is to provide a deeper insight into risks and the types of behaviour in traffic that can result in high risk situations, and to highlight what can be done to avoid them.

The compulsory risk course has two parts

  • Part 1 concerns alcohol, other drugs, fatigue and other high risk behaviour.
  • Part 2 concerns speed, safety and driving in certain conditions.

A completed risk course is valid for five years. However, the validity period will expire on the same day that your driving licence is issued. When you take your theory and practical driving tests, you must have completed both parts of the risk course and it must still be valid. If you have previously had a driving licence but it has been revoked, you must complete the risk course again before you take your test. 

Search for authorised instructors offering risk courses (e-service in Swedish)

Lessons for category AM licence

The category AM licence (class I moped) education must be at least 12 hours. The education must include both theory and practical parts, such as driving practice in traffic. For a learner driver to be allowed to ride a class I moped, they must have turned 14 years and 9 months and have a valid learner permit.
Driving practice must be supervised by an authorised instructor. Private driving practice is not permitted. Lessons must take place with an authorised instructor and include a minimum of eight hours' theory and four hours' practical experience.

Driving test

To be able to take your driving test, you must meet the additional requirements for a driving licence. The driving test includes a theory test and a practical test. The test for category AM only includes the theory test and for category B extended (B96), you will only have to take a practical test (if you already have a category B licence).
Your driving test will be taken at one of the Swedish Transport Administration's test centres.

Swedish Transport Administration website

After the test

The examiner will inform you directly after the test if you have passed and will send the results to the Swedish Transport Agency. If you have previously passed a theory test and it is still valid (where applicable) the examiner will inform you that you now have your licence. Your driving licence will be sent to you by recorded delivery and must be collected in person. You must show a valid and approved form of identification. Until you have received your licence, you must have a valid form of identification on your person when you are driving, for example a passport or ID card. Please note that you may only drive in Sweden until you have received your driving licence.

Help us improve!

Please leave a review at Your Europe.

Logotype Your Europe