Choose the area that interests you in the menu to the left.
Temporary registration can be granted for motor vehicles and trailers:
- when importing and exporting vehicles,
- when a foreign vehicle is to be used temporarily in Sweden.
When temporary registration is granted, the vehicle owner will receive a decision, a registration certificate and special number plates. A temporary registration decision should always be taken along with you on journeys.
The special number plate is red with white text and is available as
- a one-line plate with the following external measurements: 520 x 110 mm,
- a two-line plate with the following external measurements: 170 x 150 mm.
The validity of the temporary registration is shown on the plate. As you can see in the illustration below, the year is shown on the right of the plate and the day and month on the left. The plate will have a 'B' on it if the vehicle is subject to restricted use.
Special number plate - temporary registration.
What kind of temporary registration should I apply for?
If you live in Sweden permanently, you can apply for a temporary registration in the following cases:
- when a vehicle has been brought into Sweden for permanent use, but only if the person does not professionally manufacture, transport or deal in vehicles,
- when a new vehicle is to be exported, but only if the person intends to move from Sweden within three months from when the temporary registration is granted.
If you live abroad permanently, you can apply for a temporary registration in the following cases:
- when exporting a new or used vehicle abroad,
- when a vehicle that has been brought or is going to be brought into Sweden for a test drive is used temporarily, but only if the person will only be staying in Sweden temporarily,
- when a vehicle that has been brought into Sweden for private use is used temporarily, but only if the person will only be staying in Sweden temporarily.
Can my buyer apply for temporary registration?
It will take a little time and effort to help your buyer obtain temporary registration, but it may be worthwhile and is practical. You can then apply for the vehicle to be deregistered at the same time that the foreign buyer applies for temporary registration.
Your buyer can apply for temporary registration in the following cases:
- the vehicle is used and your buyer lives permanently abroad,
- the vehicle is new and your buyer lives permanently abroad,
- the vehicle is new and your buyer lives permanently in Sweden, but intends to move within three months.
What does 'new vehicle' mean?
A new vehicle is a vehicle that has not been on the road in any country and which is either unregistered or has only been registered in the Swedish Road Traffic Registry in combination with making an off road notification for the vehicle (that is, pre-registered). If the vehicle has been on the road for a day, it is regarded as used.