Vehicles that have EU vehicle type approval

Type approvals for passenger cars, tractors, motorbikes and mopeds have now been completely harmonized within the European Union. This means that when a manufacturer has received such an approval of the model, this then applies in all EU countries.

EU type approval

From and including 1 January 1998, all new vehicles that are registered for the first time must have a type approval according to the base Directive 70/156/EEC, later amended by Directive 2001/116/EC. Vehicles with EC type approval usually have a model year of 1995 or later. A vehicle with an EC type approval is supplied with a manufacturer's plate that contains the vehicle's approval number, for instance *98/14*0004*01. Furthermore, the manufacturer will certify with a CoC (Certificate of Conformity) that the vehicle is covered by an EU type approval.

A CoC (Certificate of Conformity) is required for a newly manufactured vehicle

A 'CoC' is required if the vehicle is new and has not been registered in its country of origin. This is a document in which the manufacturer certifies that the vehicle is covered by an EU type approval. A CoC vehicle must also have a manufacturer's plate indicating that the vehicle is covered by an EU type approval. This plate is usually found under the bonnet and will include the vehicles approval number and the vehicles identification number (chassis number).

If the vehicle is new, no technical check of the vehicle will be made at the registration inspection. On the other hand, the vehicle and document will be identified.

Vehicles that have been registered in another EU country

Is the vehicle used and is there a CoC? If so, the CoC may be used to verify that the technical and environmental requirements have been met. However, some technical checks are made besides an identification of the vehicle and document. This applies to both private individuals and professional importers.

Bringing a vehicle in that does not have a CoC but is nationally approved in an EEA country (European Economic Area)

A registration certificate from the previous country is now sufficient to show that the vehicle meets Swedish safety requirements. The registration certificate or corresponding document must have been issued in an EEA country. This applies to series produced vehicles of a standard design with a total weight of no more than 3 500 kg that are or have been registered and approved in another EEA country and that have been used in this country.

If there is no valid CoC, but a type approval is shown by the registration document and manufacturer's plate on the vehicle, the vehicle is approved without having to apply the Swedish Transport Agency's exemption for own use. The same applies if there is a valid CoC, regardless of whether the vehicle has previously been registered in another EU country or whether the vehicle is new or used. There is no restriction on the number of vehicles that may be brought in. The vehicle must be in its original design and correspond with the documents provided. This applies to both private individuals and professional importers.