Requirements on trams, metros and local trains
Definitions and rules
New trams and metro vehicles shall normally be authorised according to the Swedish Transport Agencys national rules (TSFS 2010:115). Also local trains for Roslagsbanan and Saltsjöbanan shall be authorised according to the national process, however the railway act for national railway systems (SFS 2022:368) and the Swedish Transport Agency regulation (TSFS 2022:34) shall be applied.
The Swedish Transport Agency makes an overall assessment of the new vehicle in the authorisation process. We also ask for independent assessment of specific functions on the interactions vehicle - infrastructure and vehicle - personnel. The applicant should send an application to the Swedish Transport Agency. The applicant is responsible for identifying all relevant requirements.
The technical requirements and guide lines below are valid for trams, metro vehicles and local trains. There are no mandatory specific EU-regulations for these categories of vehicles. There are however some standards which could be applied in the design of the vehicles. The Swedish Transport Agency normally accepts technical solutions which fulfills requirements according to EN-standards. Also the German standards for trams (BOStrab) are normally accepted for trams.
Existing vehicles shall full the national technical requirements also after an upgrade or renewal, although this is a sharp requirement only for the modified functions. By an upgrade or renewal the Swedish Transport Agency has to decide if a new authorisation is required and in this case which functions should be assessed on the modified vehicle.
In case of a modification of an authorised vehicle the applicant shall make a risk analysis. This analysis has to demonstrate that the safety of the vehicle is not decreased by the modification. Methods according to the EU-regulation 402/2013 CSM Risk assessment could be used, also this regulation is formally not required for trams, metro and local trains.
National Technical Requirements
Trams, metro vehicles and local trains shall be safe and interoperable with the lines. The vehicles shall fulfill following requirements:
- New vehicles shall be at least as safe as the existing vehicles running in the same type of operation.
- The vehicles shall be able to be detected by the train detection system of the infrastructure.
- The vehicles have to be interoperable with the train protection system of the infrastructure (if any). Also the on board train protection system has to be interoperable with the brake and traction system of the vehicle. (The standards EN 50126, EN 50128 and EN 50129 phase 1 - 10 are adequate for demonstration of this requirement).
- There shall be radio system in driver´s cab for communication with the traffic control center.
- The running dynamics of the vehicle shall be acceptable on the infrastructure. The standard EN 14363 is adequate for demonstration of this requirement).
- The gauge of the vehicle shall fit into the free space of the infrastructure.
- The vehicle shall not send harmful electromagnetic interference to the environment. (The standards EN 50121, EN 50500 and EN 62311 are adequate for demonstration of this requirement).
- The vehicle shall be interoperable with the energy system of the infrastructure.
- Vehicles out of order and derailed vehicles shall be able to be towed, jacked and rerailed.
- The vehicle shall be reliable, especially when operated in winter environment where it's intended to be used.
- There shall be driver´s manuals available in Swedish. The manuals shall give the operational characteristics and limitations of the vehicle (e.g. vehicle gauge, maximum design speed, axle loads, brake performance, rescue and towing, etc...). (See our guide: "Drivers cab, manuals and safety equipment in locomotives and multiple units" which is applicable in specific parts).
- There shall be instructions for lifting, jacking and towing of a vehicle.
- There shall be a rescue service card for the rescue service team for the specific type of vehicle.
- There shall be a maintenance plan and maintenance instructions in Swedish.
- The manufacturer shall have an acceptable quality system, demonstrating that all vehicles of same type are manufactured according to the same design.
The applicant shall demonstrate that the vehicle including documentation and software fulfills these requirements on safety and interoperability. The Swedish Transport Agency frequently requires an assessment from a third part regarding fulfilment of technical requirements.
The national technical requirements are also valid for rail vehicles authorised by another safety authority in other EU-member state. (including Norway and Switzerland). The Swedish Transport Agency apply cross acceptance by authorisation of this category of vehicles. This means that the Swedish Transport Agency accept the first authorisation without additional assessment of specific functions. There are however no official list of cross accepted functions for trams, metro vehicles and local trains.
Requirements on installation of train protection system and train radio system
Vehicles with a drivers cab shall normally have a train protection system interoperable with the infrastructure. The guide lines for rail vehicles could be used in applicable parts also for trams, metro and local trains.
All vehicles with a drivers cab shall normally have a train radio system interoperable with the infrastructure.