FAQ flight training and licensing

On this page we have gathered questions and answers in the area of ​​flight training and licensing.


No later than final approach fix must the autopilot and flight director be disconnected.

Yes, a license endorsement is permitted, and expected by the examiner, for revalidation and renewal (if the instructor rating is printed in the license), (See EDD).


Yes you can have an SFI issued based on your valid TRI and you may also revalidate your SFI based on a TRI revalidation.

Practical training

Applicants for a CBIR who holds a BIR and have received at least 10 hours of instrument flight training at a training organisation may receive a credit for the whole practical flight training course towards a CBIR, as long as all competency-based instrument rating topics have been included in the BIR training, and assessed by the training organisation that provides the competency-based modular flying training course. This means that there is no minimum requirement of flight training for the CBIR if the BIR-holder has received at least 10 hours of instrument flight training at a training organisation, it is up to the training organisation to assess how much further training that is needed. Additional theoretical training at the training organisation is required in order to cover all the theoretical topics for the CBIR.

A holder of a BIR who has obtained at least 50 hours IFR PIC is only required to receive flight training for the purpose of extending the privileges to a minimum decision height of 200 feet. No theoretical training or theoretical examination is needed.

Theoretical training

You are entitled to get a refund for those exams you have not performed. The fixed examination fee is non-refundable.

Yes, if the theoretical training has been performed at an EASA approved ATO.

For CPL- and ATPL theoretical exams the availability to take examinations may be limited as these tests has to be conducted at a Swedish ATO or at one of the independent exam locations. These independent exam locations as well as a list of our invigilators and their respective authorization is found at:

Provvakter för teoriprov inom flygutbildning

To apply for theoretical examination please use form below. The application shall be sent first as you are ready to take your first set of examinations.

Application for theoretical examination for pilot students at a non-Swedish ATO

First, request it from your flight school where you completed your training.

If you like to request it from Transportstyrelsen, please send an email to elevanmalan@transportstyrelsen.se.

EASA has clarified that the 7 year validity period for theoretical knowledge examinations for the issue of an ATPL based on the last validity date of an IR entered in the license for airplanes or a helicopter's type rating entered in that license ended on December 31st 2020 when the England left the EU.

The ATPL theoretical knowledge examinations will remain valid for the issue of an ATPL for a period of 7 years from the last validity date of an IR entered in the license. If a UK-ATPL license holder had a valid IR on December 31 2020, he/she may have an ATPL license issued until December 31 2027 based on these examinations. E.g. for a UK-ATPL license holder (former EASA license holder), whose IR expired on June 30 2017, the last date to have an EASA ATPL license issued will be June 30th 2024. 

The ATPL theoretical knowledge examinations will remain valid for 36 months after the last exam Is completed and you can apply for reduced practical training during this period. 36 months after the last exam is completed, the exams have to be retaken. In other words, there is no possibility to convert a third country CPL-license to an EASA CPL-license without completing the full theoretical knowledge examination.

You have the right to get a refund for the tests you have not taken. However, the base fee you have paid when you registered for the theoretical examination cannot be refunded.

To cancel your examination and obtain a refund, please send an e-mail to elevanmalan@transportstyrelsen.se with name and date of birth.

Yes, theoretical examinations for the issue of a BIR has an unlimited validity period. This means that older EASA theoretical examinations where the validity period has expired can be used for a BIR.

Other questions

The limitation will be removed on all typeratings in the pilot´s license.

The PC is performed and the examiner may revalidate but the PBN privileges of the pilot shall not include RNP APCH. The restriction shall be lifted if the pilot has completed a proficiency check including an RNP APCH exercise.

An Advanced UPRT must successfully be completed at an ATO prior to starting the typerating course. This course can be done at any ATO approved according to EASA-regulations.

You need to either validate or convert your licence according to EU regulations. The provisions for this can be found in the Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/723, which is a found at EASAs website: Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/723

If you who have a FAA certificate issued, it may also be possible to convert through the BASA agreement Annex 3. More information about this can be found at Information regarding conversions of FAA certificates for aeroplane into Part-FCL licences

More information on the possibilities for validation and conversion of a licence issued by a third country can be found on the Swedish Transport Agency's website.

No. Credit towards training hours are described in article 3b, regulation (EU) 2020/723. According to information from the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), article 3b can only be used for the conversion of a licence and its associated ratings and certificates. This means that it is not possible to convert only individual ratings or certificates, such as e.g. instructor certificates, instrument ratings or type ratings, through article 3b.

You can find more information about licences and ratings from third countries here: Ratings issued or limited to a third country (non-EASA)

You need to

  • meet the experience requirements and the prerequisites for the issue of the applicable type rating in accordance with Part-FCL
  • have current flying practice (the requirement means that you must have flown any class- or type within the last 12 months)
  • have at least 500 hours of flight experience as a pilot in the type from which the restriction is to be removed
  • pass a skill test on the type rating in accordance with Part-FCL.

The requirements for the removal of a restriction are set out in Article 3(d) and Article 10 of the Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/723.

More information can be found on the page Ratings issued or limited to a third country (non-EASA)

All invoices concerning flight crew licenses are always sent by regular mail. Though, it is possible to get a digital copy by email. Please email your request regarding a digital copy including name and licence number to luft.certifikat@transportstyrelsen.se

It is possible, under certain circumstances, to obtain a PPL as a student of an integrated CPL-, ATPL- or MPL-course.

The student shall contact the training organisation responsible for his/her integrated CPL-, ATPL- or MPL training for more information.

A student permit is only required for students in training towards a ultralight certificate or AFIS officer endorsements. Students under training towards other certificates are only required to have a valid medical of the relevant class prior to the first solo flight.

Are you satisfied with the information on this page?

Thank you for giving us feedback!