Type approval may be granted for whole vehicles, for a component, system or separate technical unit included in the vehicle.
What is a type approval?
A type approval proves that a vehicle or a component type meets the applicable technical requirements. In Sweden, the Swedish Transport Agency is the approval authority. An international type approval granted by one EU member state is recognized by EU Member States.
How to apply - the type approval process
In order to make the assessment of a type approval a smooth and time-efficient process, it is important that the application and its attachments are correct the first time.
If you're already familiar with the process and the requirements that needs to be fulfilled, you can download our application form below.
The application shall be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. In return you will recieve an autogenerated notification. If this notification is not received, please contact us.
Remember to submit only one application per e-mail. It facilitates our handling and allows us to process your case faster.
Conformity of Production
If you receive a type approval your produced product must continue to conform with the approved type. We or a designated technical service (category C) will carry out a revision (Conformity of Production) to verify that you are able to manufacture your product in accordance with the type approved product.
After a revision, we issue a CoP-clearance with an expiry date. Before we issue a CoP-clearnace we need documentation of the revision and invoice information.
Application form for Invoice information for Conformity of Production
Before the CoP-clearance expires, a new CoP-revision needs to be conducted. This requirements is applicable for all type approvals, both EU and UNECE-regulations.
Fees for EU type approval activities
In accordance with regulation (EU) 2018/858, the Member States may charge fees for type approval activities and for designation and monitoring of technical services.
The Swedish Transport Agency (STA) is the approval authority carrying out these activities in Sweden. To make sure we will cover our costs for type approval activities, it has been decided new fees coming into force the 1st January 2022.
The following changes have been decided and come into force on 1 January 2022:
- A fixed fee of 3,400 SEK and a running fee of 1,400 SEK per hour will be charged for the examination of applications for type approvals and changes to type approvals of vehicles, systems and components.
Conformity of Production activities
- A running fee of 1400 SEK per hour will be charged for initial assessment activities.
- A running fee of 1400 SEK per hour will be charged for activities related to production conformity.
- A designated technical service shall pay an annual fee of 10,500 SEK for administrative handling related to its authorisation.
- A fixed fee of 3,400 SEK and a running fee of 1,400 SEK per hour will be charged for examinations of applications to be designated as a technical service.
- A running fee of 1,400 SEK per hour will be charged for the monitoring of a technical service.
EU individual vehicle approval
- A running fee of 1,400 SEK per hour will be charged for the examination of applications for EU individual vehicle approval.
Are you satisfied with the information on this page?
Thank you for giving us feedback!