Traffic insurance

All motor vehicles used in traffic must be traffic insured, according to the Traffic Injuries Act (1975: 1410). If you whish to, you may sign additional full or half insurance.

If the vehicle is in traffic, the registered owner of the vehicle must sign a traffic insurance for the specific vehicle. This also applies if the vehicle, for example, is stolen, has a ban on use, a driving ban or is not in a drivable condition. The vehicle must be reported as out of traffic for the requirement for traffic insurance to cease to apply.

What is a traffic insurance?

The traffic insurance is a compulsory insurance that provides compensation in the event of certain types of injuries in traffic. Some examples:

  • All persons injured in an accident with the insured vehicle receive compensation for personal injury. This applies to both drivers and passengers.
  • If the injured party has contributed to the injury through intent, gross negligence or other negligence in connection with drunk driving, the compensation may be reduced.
  • If there is a collision with another vehicle, with property damage as a result, the damage is compensated as a basic rule by the traffic insurance. It is the insurance of the vehicle that is considered to be the cause (which has caused the accident) that compensates the damage to the non-cause party.
  • If you collide with something other than a motor vehicle, such as a lamppost, the property damage to the lamppost is usually compensated by the car's traffic insurance.

Please note that you do not receive compensation for damage to your own vehicle or goods that are transported if you have caused the damage yourself.

If the vehicle is only traffic insured, you will not be compensated for damage, fire or theft.

Who should take out traffic insurance?

It is the registered owner of the vehicle who must sign a traffic insurance for the vehicle.

When should you sign a traffic insurance?

You must sign a traffic insurance in connection with you becoming the owner of a motor vehicle. The insurance must signed from the day the vehicle is taken into traffic or immediately if the vehicle is already in traffic. If the vehicle is reported as out of traffic, you do not need to sign a traffic insurance.

When can you cancel your traffic insurance?

You can cancel the insurance if you

  • sell the vehicle
  • report the vehicle as out of traffic
  • deregisters the vehicle
  • sign a new traffic insurance with another company

In order for you to be able to cancel your insurance, the information must be registered with us at the Swedish Transport Agency. It is the date entered in the road vehicle register that applies in the event of a change of ownership, suspension or deregistration.

What happens if your vehicle is uninsured?

If you have not signed a traffic insurance, you will automatically be reported to the Swedish Transport Insurance Association and will have to pay a fee called a traffic insurance fee. The fee is significantly higher than the premium you pay for a regular traffic insurance.

Read more about the traffic insurance fee on the Swedish Transport Insurance Association's website.

Help us improve!

Please leave a review at Your Europe.

Logotype Your Europe