Temporary registration when exporting used vehicles

This section provides information about temporary registration when exporting used vehicles, and includes an application form.

When can you apply?

If you sell a used vehicle to someone who lives abroad, temporary registration may be used. The seller should then apply for the vehicle to be deregistered, at the same time that the buyer applies for temporary registration. The buyer should be living abroad permanently if they are to be granted this kind of registration. It may also be granted for unregistered vehicles that are used. 
However, the Swedish Transport Agency will not grant temporary registration if

  • the vehicle may not be used owing to unpaid taxes or charges,
  • the last roadworthiness test that was passed was taken more than 12 months ago, 
  • the vehicle is subject to a driving ban or an order (that is, an obligation according to law) concerning a roadworthiness test.

Plates, decision and registration certificate for the buyer

In the case of temporary registration, the vehicle will be given a new registration number. We will send a temporary registration decision, registration certificate and special number plates to the Swedish address of the foreign buyer. The temporary registration decision should always be taken along when the vehicle is being used.

Period of validity

Temporary registration applies for one month. The vehicle must be removed from Sweden within this period. The period of validity cannot be extended. The special number plates must be destroyed when the period of validity ceases.
Temporary registration ceases when the ownership changes. It may also be discontinued in advance, for example owing to registration abroad. The owner should then notify the Swedish Transport Agency of this in writing, preferably on the registration certificate. The special plates should be returned to the Swedish Transport Agency at the same time.

Use in Sweden

The vehicle may be used in normal traffic during the period of validity of the registration, but may not be used for commercial transport.

Use abroad

The rules for how a vehicle with temporary registration may be used differ from country to country. For this reason, you should check which rules apply in the country or countries where you are going to be using the vehicle.


You do not have to pay any charge for this kind of temporary registration, but bear in mind that there will be an additional cost for traffic insurance (does not apply to trailers).


The application should be made using a special form from us - Application for temporary registration - Export of used vehicles.

You can also order the form from Vehicle Enquiries on +46 (0)771-14 15 16.

The following documents must be attached to your application:

  • a Swedish traffic insurance certificate for temporary registration or, for exports to other EEA countries: a 30-day insurance certificate issued in the country to which the export is to be made (does not apply to trailers), 
  • a record showing that the vehicle has passed a roadworthiness test in Sweden no more than twelve months prior to the application (if there is no information that the vehicle has passed its roadworthiness test in the Swedish Road Traffic Registry). Please note that if the vehicle has been subject to a driving ban or an order since the last test, the vehicle is regarded as not having passed its roadworthiness test, 
  • the original Swedish registration certificate with the application for deregistration, signed by the seller, 
  • the Swedish number plates.

If you use a 30-day certificate for insurance when applying for temporary registration, note that the vehicle will become uninsured for the rest of the period during which the temporary registration is valid (that is to say, from and including day 31, counted from the commencement date of the certificate), unless new insurance is taken out with a Swedish insurance company.

If the Swedish Road Traffic Registry shows that the vehicle may not be used owing to unpaid taxes or charges, you should also attach receipts showing that these have now been paid. It may take some time before you receive a response to your application if you do not attach receipts.
The application should be sent to:
The Swedish Transport Agency
SE-701 81 Örebro, Sweden