Deregister the vehicle

Deregistration should not be confused with making an off road notification for a vehicle. When an off road notification is made for a vehicle, this means that the vehicle is still kept in the register, but that the vehicle cannot be used and for this reason it is not necessary to pay vehicle tax or have traffic insurance.

Besides dismantling, one reason for a vehicle being deregistered may be because the vehicle has been exported or rebuilt. Bear in mind that deregistration is always counted from the day on which we receive the application, regardless of the reason for deregistration.

Dismantling passenger cars, light lorries and small buses (with a total weight of no more than 3 500 kg)

A vehicle becomes deregistered by handing the vehicle over to a collection point or authorised car dismantler. Your municipality can provide you with information about local collection points. BIL Sweden (a producer organisation) also provides information about collection points on its website.

Authorised car dismantlers can be found in the telephone directory's Yellow Pages (Gula sidorna) under the heading 'Car Dismantlers' (bilskrot). Information about authorised car dismantlers can also be obtained via the website of the trade association Swedish Car Recyclers Association (SBR).

When you hand your vehicle over, the recipient will issue a certificate of receipt that should be sent to the Swedish Transport Agency. This certificate of receipt means that the ownership of the vehicle transfers to the recipient, which is then responsible for the vehicle being dismantled correctly. The recipient often provides us with this information via a computer, in which case it is not necessary to send in a certificate of receipt.

The registration certificate 

When you hand your vehicle over for dismantling, you should take Part 2 of your registration certificate with you. The registration certificate comprises two parts: Part 1, which is blue, and Part 2, which is yellow. The recipient will take care of the registration certificate.

If you have not received a new, two-part registration certificate, the old type of registration certificate is still valid.

NOTE: You must have the last registration certificate issued. Only the last registration certificate issued is valid.

Registration certificates will be issued by the Swedish Transport Agency as of 2009. Previously, the Swedish Road Administration issued registration certificates and the new version was issued by the Swedish Road Administration during the period 2004 to 2008. 

More information about registration certificates

Dismantling vehicles in other countries

Have you dismantled your vehicle in an EEA country other than Sweden? If this is the case, you should notify us of this on your registration certificate. You should also attach the vehicle's number plates and a Certificate of Destruction to your notification. This Certificate of Destruction must include the following information:

  • the name, address, signature and corporate ID number (or equivalent) of the authorised car dismantler,
  • the name and address of the licence authority that has granted authorisation to the car dismantler (corresponding to Sweden's county administrative boards),
  • the date when the Certificate of Destruction was issued,
  • the vehicle's nationality designation, registration number, the kind of vehicle, make, model and identification number,
  • your name, your address, nationality and signature.

Certificates of Destruction in EEA countries

Dismantling heavy lorries and buses (total weight over 3 500 kg) and other kinds of vehicles

If the vehicle is dismantled, destroyed or if you have done something that means that the vehicle can no longer be used on the road, it should then be deregistered. You should notify us of this on the registration certificate. We will consider whether the vehicle should be deregistered. The following kinds of vehicles are subject to these rules:

  • heavy lorries and heavy buses,
  • trailers,
  • motorbikes,
  • registered mopeds,
  • tractors,
  • registered mobile machinery,
  • all-terrain vehicles (heavy all-terrain vehicles, all-terrain quad bikes, other all-terrain vehicles and their trailers).

In order for us to make an assessment, the application needs to be supplemented with

  • a description of the measures taken,
  • a certificate or the like (this information should be verified),
  • the vehicle's number plate.

Rebuilt vehicles

In certain cases, a vehicle will no longer have to be registered if you have rebuilt it. The most common case is when a car trailer is rebuilt to be used behind an agricultural tractor. See how to apply for deregistration under the heading 'Dismantling heavy lorries and buses (total weight over 3 500 kg) and other kinds of vehicles' above.

NOTE: It is a common misconception that a car trailer can be deregistered and used, unregistered, behind a car with an 'LGF plate' (LGF = Långsamtgående fordon = slow-moving vehicle): this is incorrect. A trailer used behind a car must always be registered if it is to be used.


If you export a vehicle from Sweden, it must be deregistered.  
More information about exporting vehicles.

Other ways of deregistering a vehicle

In exceptional cases, we will grant deregistration on grounds other than those shown here. This primarily applies to the deregistration of passenger cars that have been dismantled, but where the owners cannot produce a Certificate of Destruction to prove this. One example is passenger cars that are used for 'folkrace' (banger racing).

Apply using the registration certificate, which should be supplemented with documents verifying that the vehicle is to be deregistered.

Dismantling compensation replaces dismantling premiums 

A dismantling premium of between SEK 700 and SEK 1 700 was previously paid when certain vehicles were dismantled. New rules apply from 1 June 2007, and the dismantling premium system has ceased to apply.

Vehicles that were dismantled from the start of June 2007 and that met certain requirements became entitled to dismantling compensation amounting to SEK 4 000. Most of the dismantling compensation was paid out in July 2007 and further payments were made at the end of that year for vehicles handed over for dismantling in the summer of 2007. 
After 1 June 2007, these payments were funded by the assets of the Motor Vehicle Disposal Fund. This money was paid out in the order in which the applications were received by the Swedish Transport Agency. 
Vehicles that are dismantled now are not eligible for dismantling compensation, as the assets of this fund have run out. 
For a vehicle to be eligible for dismantling compensation, the following requirements should be met: 

  • the vehicle must have a model year/vehicle year of 1988 or earlier,
  • the vehicle must have been licensed for use in the Swedish Road Traffic Registry by 31 August 2006.

Refunding vehicle tax

  • When dismantling passenger cars, light lorries and small buses 
    We will refund any surplus (remaining) vehicle tax. The amount is calculated from the month after the month in which the vehicle was deregistered. The tax for vehicles where the annual tax is more than SEK 4 800 will be refunded as of the date of deregistration. The tax shall be refunded to the person listed in the Swedish Road Traffic Registry as the owner when the vehicle was handed over for dismantling. 
  • When dismantling other vehicles 
    The same applies here as above, but the money is paid to the person listed as the owner of the vehicle on the date on which the vehicle is deregistered.
  • When deregistering a vehicle for a reason other than dismantling 
    The same applies here as above, but the money is paid to the person listed as the owner of the vehicle on the date on which the vehicle is deregistered.