Drones – unmanned aircraft

In order to facilitate the further development of drones while maintaining a high level of safety as drone use increases, new drone regulations were introduced on 1 January 2021. These regulations apply in all EU member states, but do not cover drones flown indoors.

The regulations in short:

  • Compulsory registration for operators of almost all drone types. Registered operators get an operator ID, that their drone must be labelled with. It must be possible to identify the drone from a distance using the operator ID. It must also be possible to determine the drone's geographical position as well as its altitude, speed and flight path. New drones shall be programmed with the operator ID.
  • Open category remote pilots must undergo training and take a test. Having passed the test, the pilot will get a drone licence, which allows him or her to fly a drone. The drone licence is valid for 5 years. In association with the drone license there are a few things you need to be aware of:
    • You can pay via Swish (Swedish e-payment) or invoice only. At the moment, we cannot accept payment by credit card, nor Apple pay or Line pay. 
    • If invoice is selected it will be sent to you by regular post so it probably will take some time until you receive it.
    • The test is in Swedish only and will be sent by e-mail. It has to be completed within 24 hours including returning it to us by e-mail.
    • One test is included when you have paid the fee, 390 SEK.
    • The test can be sent out once everything is registered in our systems.
    • When you pass the test, a drone license is issued.

      Please be aware that the process from application to the issue of a drone license may take up to 90 days.

  • For drones weighing up to 25 kilos, no special permits from the Swedish Transport Agency are required. All you are required to have is a drone licence and an operator ID, as long as you follow the three basic rules of drone flying: fly within your visual line of sight, no more than 120 meters above the ground, and always in a way that does not put others in danger. Drones weighing up to 25 kilos are included in the open category. However, other permits may be required, such as a dissemination permit for images and video, from the Swedish mapping, cadastral and land registration authority (Lantmäteriet), or a permit from the nearest airport to fly within its control zone.
  • If the flight exceeds any of the limitations for the open category, you have to follow the rules for either the specific category or the certified category. This applies to a number of situations, e.g. if you wish to fly beyond your visual line of sight or higher than 120 meters, but also if you wish to fly close to people without their permission or over a crowd of people.

Find out more about the regulations, register as an operator and take the drone licence (Swedish language only). More detailed information in English about the regulations can be found at the European Union Aviation Safety Agency - EASA - website.

Declarations and operational authorisations for foreign operators

Are you a non-Swedish operator? You will find here relevant information about operational permits and declarations for drones. Please choose the option below that applies to you.

Information for EASA Member States

Information for third country operators

Contact us

If you got any further questions about drones please contact us.

Telephone number: 0771-779 779 (from abroad +46 771 779 779)
Open hours: 1 PM – 3 PM.

E-mail: luftfart@transportstyrelsen.se