Import from an EU country

Below you may find information about how to register a vehicle from another EU country.

List of EU member states

If the vehicle is new 

If your vehicle is new and has been imported from another EU country you should notify the Swedish Tax Agency’s office (Skatteverket) in Ludvika that you have bought a vehicle. Read more on the page Pay value added tax.

Enclose the following documents to your application

The following documents should be sent in to the Swedish Transport Agency when you apply for verification of origin in connection with import of a vehicle from another EU country.

1. Application

You may send in a signed confirmation of your application that you create using our e-service or you may complete an application form manually. 

2. A vehicle document

There are a variety of vehicle documents and which document to send in varies depending on if the vehicle is new or if it has been registered previously. Please read through the following options to see which certificate applies to you.

you should send us the original registration certificate. If there is more than one part issued, all parts of the registration certificate should be sent in.

View some examples of registration certificates from EU countries.

(i.e. does not have a previous permanent registration) and is WVTA (Whole Vehicle Type Approval)  certified you should send in the original Certificate of Conformity (CoC). This certificate is issued by the manufacturer.

View some samples of CoC documents.

you should send in a copy of the manufacturer’s certificate.

This certificate is issued by the manufacturer or the general agent and should as a minimum include

  • name of manufacturer
  • commercial name
  • date of manufacture
  • vehicle identification number

Please note that the vehicle inspection company may require more information at the registration inspection. The original certificate should be brought to the registration inspection. View some samples of manufacturer’s certificates.

you should send us the CE certificate which states that your vehicle complies with a valid machine directive. This certificate is issued by the manufacturer and is often found in the vehicle’s manual.

The original certificate should be brought to the registration inspection. View some samples of CE certificates.

there might alternatively be a certificate of individual approval from another country issued for this vehicle. If such a certificate has been issued you should send it in together with your application for verification of origin.  

Please note that such an approval must be approved separately by the Swedish Transport Agency in Borlänge to be considered as a valid document at a registration inspection.

Submit your application by using the individual approval form (in Swedish only)

Please send in a Swedish certificate of motor third part liability (MTPL) insurance for temporary registration which you may attain from your Swedish insurance company. Please note that vehicles with registration documents that do not prove permanent registration in an EEA country will be granted temporary registration with restricted use.

Read more about temporary registration

View some samples of Swedish certificates of motor third part liability (MTPL) insurance.

If you would like to include a previous roadworthiness test from another EU or EEA country when you apply for temporary registration in conjunction with an application for verification of origin you should enclose a copy of the vehicle inspection report with your application. Bring the original report to the vehicle inspection. This copy of the vehicle inspection report is used to determine the correct inspection period for your vehicle.

3. A copy of the purchase document, receipt or other document that proves how the vehicle has come into your possession

The purchase document should contain information of who the seller and the buyer are, what has been sold and the date of the sale. Please note that the vehicle identification number (chassis number) or other information specific to your vehicle must be stated.

If you apply for import in one of the categories relocation goods or inherited property...

Additional specific documents verifying the origin of your vehicle are required. For more information on what documents are required for relocation goods or inherited property, see import category.

Apply using our e-service or our application form

Make your application by using our e-service. Please note that you should print out and sign your application before sending it in.

Application for verification of origin

If you cannot or do not wish to use our e-service, please complete and print out the application form on your computer, or order it from our customer service for vehicle inquiries.


When you have submitted your application you will receive a case number and an OCR number that you will use to pay your application fee. Please note that if you use the e-service you need to print out and sign the confirmation of your application created at the end of your application.

If you use the application form a paying in form with an OCR number for the payment of the application fee will be sent to you by post once we have received your application form together with all other documents required for your case. 

Current application fee for verification of origin is SEK 1 240.

Help us improve!

Please leave a review at Your Europe.

Logotype Your Europe