Permission to fly in restricted areas

Here you can find information regarding the process for applying for a permit to fly in a restricted area that involves a ban or restriction of aviation.

The Swedish Transport Agency can decide on restrictions or bans on aviation, so-called restricted areas (R-areas). This can be done for military reasons, for reasons of public order and security or due to nature or environmental protection. It is prohibited to fly in a restricted area without a permit from the competent authority or the ATS unit as shown in column 4 in the list of restricted areas in AIP ENR 5.1.

Important to read before applying

When examining cases concerning applications for flight permits in restricted areas, the Swedish Transport Agency assesses in the first instance whether flying is of importance or for the benefit of society or of a socially important nature. Basis for examination and assessment can be found in the Civil Aviation Act (2010: 500), the Civil Aviation Ordinance (2010: 770) and the Ordinance (2005:801) on restrictions on aviation in certain areas, where the Swedish Transport Agency may decide on exemptions if there are special reasons.

If the Swedish Transport Agency initially assesses that the flight constitutes a societal benefit or if special reasons can be proven, the matter is referred to several different bodies within the restricted area for comments before a decision is made. Permits are granted restrictively, today the Swedish Transport Agency issues flight permits primarily to businesses that conduct for example

  • inspection work
  • inventory work
  • construction work
  • traffic monitoring
  • inspection of critical infrastructure such as power lines, roads, ports and railways for planning, information and safety purposes.

Permits are not granted to private individuals for pleasure flights or for flights that can be considered to constitute commercial reasons. Commercial reasons are considered to be, for example, photography or filming where material is to be made available for sale (generic images, stock photos, etc.).

In general, it is necessary to demonstrate a social benefit, where the corresponding results cannot be achieved if the work had been carried out without a drone or aircraft. If the flight is carried out on behalf of another party, it is important to the application attach a description of the flight and activities or a cooperation agreement that proves the purpose of the flight.

Flight over national parks

For flights within restricted areas that have been established over a national park, a separate application to the relevant County Administrative Board for an exemption permit for take-off and landing within the area is also required if it is regulated by the national park regulation. Examples of such areas are ESR47 Sarek, ESR53 Stora Sjöfallet, ESR57 Padjalanta, ESR61 Sånfjället and
ESR115 Fulufjället.

For more information about rules for national parks, read more on the County Administrative Board's website.

Flying with drones in restricted areas

Since 2021, the European Commission's Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/947 on the rules and procedures for the operation of unmanned aircraft applies. However, the regulation does not regulate the operation or use of unmanned aircraft in restricted areas. Unmanned aerial vehicles, from drones to model airplanes, may not be flown in restricted areas without a flight permit.

For restricted areas that overlap densely built-up areas, it is required that an application for permission to fly in the restricted area describes the purpose of the flight, descibes the planned flight area or volume and how you plan to meet the requirements in the regulations. This is important as it is rarely possible within the geographical extent of the restricted area to stay within the transition rules that apply to the open category, i.e. not to fly over people or closer than 50-150m from buildings laterally (A2/A3 authorization).

Regulation (EU) 2021/947 also describes how C-classified drones may be used. However, during a transition period of three years, the use of drones that are not marked with C-classification is restricted. Since the certification of C-classified drones, at the moment, is not recognized in the EU due to the lack of procedures necessary to demonstrate compliance with the regulations, C-classified drones are treated according to the transitional rules until 31 December 2023.

Read more about Transitional rules for drones, 1 January 2021–31 December 2023.

Fee from 1 January 2022

The Swedish Transport Agency charges a fee for processing applications for flight permits in restricted areas. The fee is regulated in ch. 2. para. 7 of the Swedish Transport Agency's regulations on fees (TSFS 2016:105).

Currently, the fee is an hourly rate of SEK 1,700 which is charged per the beginning of every 30-minute period.

The fee is charged regardless of whether the application results in a favorable decision or a rejection.

Apply for a permit to fly in a restricted area

The application for a permit to fly in a restricted area must contain the following information:

  1. Name or company name, organization number, full address, telephone number and email address.
  2. Billing address and details of person responsible for the business.
  3. Operator details For UAS: Remote pilot's name and UAS operator's name and contact information for remote pilot and operator. The remote pilot's drone license must be included where the name, reference number and authorizations are clearly stated. For helicopter or airplane: Operator/company name.
  4. Is there an operational permit issued by the Swedish Transport Agency or any other competent authority in a EASA member state?
  5. The type of aircraft intended to be used. For UAS, size, weight and possible classification must be clearly stated. Also include a picture of the aircraft. For helicopters, only the model and nationality and registration are given.
  6. Detailed description of the intended flight with background and purpose.
  7. An order confirmation from the party who ordered the flight must be included (if applicable). This must substantiate the purpose stated in the application under point 6. The order confirmation must not contain sensitive personal data or price information.
  8. If the flight area is to be considered a densely built-up area, a description is also required of how, as a remote pilot, you ensure that you meet the rules and conditions for the category you are flying in with regard to flying over people, crowds and distance to built-up areas.
  9. What time period is the flight planned to take place? A permit should normally cover no longer than one to five days and limited in time during the day (eg 220816 at 08:00 - 13:00).
  10. The altitude at which the flight is planned to be conducted, given in feet or meters above the ground (GND).
  11. An account of whether any cooperation with another authority have taken place before this application.
  12. An image/a map of the flight area. The map should be given in an appropriate scale and the area should be defined with coordinates according to the format WGS84 (degrees:minutes:seconds or in decimal form), where minutes and seconds assume values between 00-59. An example of an approved coordinate is 570642N 0140956E. To avoid time consuming request for completions to the application, it is important that the coordinates are entered correctly. UAS/remote pilots must use the Dronechart (LFV Drone Map (RPAS, UAS, UAV)) and the coordinate tool to plot the area and check what applies to the particular restricted area in which the area is located.

    Example of a flight area with coordinates in a restricted area:
    Example map of a flight area.
    592000N 0180412E
    591947N 0180413E
    591947N 0180426E
    592000N 0180422E

The complete application must be received by the Swedish Transport Agency no later than five weeks before the current time for flying in the restricted area.

The application may be sent to e-mail


The Swedish Transport Agency
Maritime and Aviation Department
601 73 Norrköping
Phone: 0771-503 503

Are you satisfied with the information on this page?

Thank you for giving us feedback!