Airspace changes can be made if there is a clear purpose in favour of the change. This could, for example, be improvements in capacity, flight safety, environmental aspects or to meet requirements from new users.
A formal proposal shall be submitted to the Swedish Transport Agency. This is also applicable when the operational procedures on which the approval is based are changed, in accordance with the regulations in TSFS 2015:1 .
If you wish to propose an airspace change you should, well in advance, contact those affected by the proposed change.
Proposing an airspace change
When submitting a formal proposal to airspace changes, the person responsible for the proposal shall ensure that the proposal is in line with all applicable legislation and other rules or regulations.
The proposal should contain relevant information regarding:
- The purpose of the proposed airspace or air routes (ATS route or SID/STAR).
- A description of the airspace or air route(s).
An assessment of the amount of traffic or the extent of the airspace required, traffic flow and dependencies to other operations - the hours the airspace will be in use, possible seasonal variations.
Type of air route or airspace.
Influence on traffic (IFR/VFR/MIL) in the area.
- Access to infrastructure for navigation, radar and radio coverage.
- Assessment of the consequences if the proposed change is not performed.
- Assessment of the environmental impact, including actions to reduce it.
- A statement explaining which parties have been consulted, what kind of problems have been identified and what solutions have been agreed.
- Assessment of possible effects on flight safety
- Other information that might influence the evaluation of the proposal.
- Planned date of execution.
Analysis and evaluation
The Swedish Transport Agency will perform an analysis and evaluation of the proposal (a case study), regarding for example
- ICAO and other bodies of rules
- the traffic situation
- the environmental impact
- access to navigational aids
- network of air routes
- safety demands
- policies or other governing circumstances.
The Swedish Armed Forces will also be contacted during this phase.
After formal consultations and due process, and possible adjustments of the proposal, the Swedish Transport Agency will make a decision and reach an agreement on date for execution with the applicant.
The applicant is responsible for producing the information that may be required in order to publish a notification of the change in, for instance, the AIP.
The Swedish Transport Agency regulations