Drones – unmanned aircraft

In order to facilitate the further development of drones while maintaining a high level of safety as drone use increases, new drone regulations were introduced on 1 January 2021. These regulations apply in all EU member states, but do not cover drones flown indoors.

The regulations in short:

  • Compulsory registration for operators of almost all drone types. Registered operators get an operator ID, that their drone must be labelled with. It must be possible to identify the drone from a distance using the operator ID. It must also be possible to determine the drone's geographical position as well as its altitude, speed and flight path. New drones shall be programmed with the operator ID.
  • Open category remote pilots must undergo training and take a test. Having passed the test, the pilot will get a drone licence, which allows him or her to fly a drone. The drone licence is valid for 5 years. The test takes approximately 40 minutes, and those who pass the test will get their drone licence immediately.
  • For drones weighing up to 25 kilos, no special permits from the Swedish Transport Agency are required. All you are required to have is a drone licence and an operator ID, as long as you follow the three basic rules of drone flying: fly within your visual line of sight, no more than 120 meters above the ground, and always in a way that does not put others in danger. Drones weighing up to 25 kilos are included in the open category. However, other permits may be required, such as a dissemination permit for images and video, from the Swedish mapping, cadastral and land registration authority (Lantmäteriet), or a permit from the nearest airport to fly within its control zone.
  • If the flight exceeds any of the limitations for the open category, you have to apply for a permit from the Swedish Transport Agency. This applies to a number of situations, e.g. if you wish to fly beyond your visual line of sight or higher than 120 meters, but also if you wish to fly close to people without their permission or over a crowd of people.
  • Additional requirements apply to flights involving higher risks to other aircraft or to people on the ground, as well as to flights with heavier drones. Flights requiring special permits are categorised as specific or certified, depending on the risk they present to uninvolved people. Such flights require other types of certificate than drone licence, depending on their category.

Find out more about the regulations, register as an operator and take the drone licence (Swedish language only). More detailed information in English about the regulations can be found at the European Union Aviation Safety Agency - EASA - website.